LEARN! ABSORB! PLAY BETTER! SOUND BETTER!
CHECK OUT THESE BASS PLAYER LIVE! CLINICS...
- A live clinic interview with super-hot Swedish fuze/pop trio Dirty Loops bass sensation Henrik Linder.
- A VSOP clinic performance by Abraham Laboriel, Bakitihi Kumalo (Paul Simon) and Hutch Hutchinson (Bonnie Raitt), presented by Kala.
- The Bass Player LIVE! clinic debut of iconic fretless bassist, solo artist and Tribal Tech co-founder Gary Willis.
- Bass Education, led by Berklee College of Music Bass Department Chairman and renowned solo artist Steve Bailey, and featuring BP Lifetime Award Recipient and Cal Arts bass instructor Alphonso Johnson, LAMA Bass Dept. Chair and low-end specialist Jerry Watts, Nashville session bassist and Belmont University instructor Roy Vogt, and noted web teachers Janek Gwizdala (solo artist, Mike Stern) and Norm Stockton (solo artist, Bobby Kimball).
- TV Bass Roundtable with Mike Merritt of Conan, Jimmy Earl of Jimmy Kimmel Live, and John B. Williams of Doc Severinsen’s Tonight Show band and the Arsenio Hall Show’s Posse.
- A clinic performance and discussion with TV’s “Face of Bass,” award-winning producer and American Idol and Tonight Show with Jay Leno bandleader Rickey Minor.
- A solo clinic by master rock bassist/vocalist dUg Pinnick of King’s X and Pinnick/Gales/Pridgen.
- Legends of New York Bass: A historic clinic featuring past BP Lifetime Achievement Award Winners Chuck Rainey and Jerry Jemmott, who collectively have played on seminal Gotham recordings by Aretha Franklin, King Curtis, B.B. King, Roberta Flack, the Rascals, and more.
- Latin Bass Roundtable clinic led by Oskar Cartaya (Spyro Gyra, Herb Alpert, J-Lo), with Carlitos Del Puerto (Bruce Springsteen, Sting, Chick Corea), Jon Pena (Larry Cartlon, Tania Maria, Steve Vai) and others.
- A multi-string metal mashup clinic featuring Jeff Hughell (Six Feet Under, Reciprocal) and Nick Schendzielos (Cephalic Carnage, Job for a Cowboy).
- Our annual International Bassist clinic with Wojtek Pilichowski (Polish solo artist and vituoso web sensation).
ARTIST APPEARANCES & BIOS
The 2014 Bass Player Live! Award Winners
One of the most recorded and revered studio musicians in pop music history, Bass Player LIVE! Lifetime Achievement Award honoree Abraham Laboriel is also an innovator who has brought new techniques and global grooves to the bass lexicon via the thousands of albums he has played on. His wide-ranging credits run the gamut from Quincy Jones, George Benson, Miles Davis and Paul Simon to Michael Jackson, Madonna, Lionel Richie, Barbra Streisand and Dolly Parton.
Young Gun Award-winner Henrik Linder was a student at the Royal College of Music in Stockholm when Dirty Loops first rose to prominence as accidental internet sensations with their fusion covers of pop megahits, starting with Lady Gaga’s “Just Dance.” What’s happened since is no accident, as Dirty Loops’ debut Loopified (Verve) showcases a trio as adept at creating inventive, infectious pop originals as creatively reimagining global hits. Linder’s virtuoso slap, pluck and chordal style on 5- and 6-string bass is both anchor and color for the Swedish group’s unique sound.
Other Appearances By ...
The grand master of the fretless 6-string and veteran solo artist and sideman has settled in nicely as Chairman of the Bass Department at Berklee, while still finding time to tour with Victor Wooten in Bass Extremes, and record, produce and perform in various side projects.
The Puerto Rican-born, Bronx-seasoned bassist, producer, composer has toured and recorded with everyone from Spyro Gyra and Herb Alpert to J-Lo and Willie Colón, Since moving to L.A., he has added film scoring to his career file.
Carlos Del Puerto, Jr.
“Carlitos,” the son of Cuban bass legend Carlos Del Puerto, Sr. (Irakare) has been the hottest doubler on the planet, hopping from gigs with Bruce Springsteen, Sting, Chris Botti, Chick Corea, David Sanborn & Bob James and the Gipsy Kings. He can be heard on Billy Childs’ excellent new album, Map to the Treasure: Reimagining Laura Nyro.
Best known for his versatile, lockdown role on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, Earl’s rich history includes stops with Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Robben Ford, as well as his most recent solo album, Renewing Disguises.
The U.K.-born jazz bass guitar phenom is a multi-media force, with tours, recordings (including his most recent, Theatre by the Sea), books, his interactive website and an upcoming app. Janek was most recently in the studio in Brooklyn recording his next album with Gary Husband and Nir Felder.
7-string metal bass force Jeff Hughell anchors Six Feet Under and Reciprocal. He has also been performing in support of his second solo album, Chaos Labyrinth.
Best known as the hard-grooving backbone of Bonnie Raitt’s band on the road and on vinyl, Hutch Hutchinson has also recorded with Ringo Starr, Bob Seeger, Willie Nelson, Brian Wilson, Garth Brooks, CSNY and Randy Newman.
The recipient of Bass Player’s 2001 Lifetime Achievement Award, session giant Jerry Jemmott left immortal fingerprints on seminal ’60s sides with Aretha Franklin, B.B. King and King Curtis. More recently he has anchored Gregg Allman’s band, and since relocating to L.A. in 2012, he has formed the Kingpins with Guitar Shorty and drummer Steve Ferrone.
Bass Player’s 2010 Lifetime Achievement Award recipient, Alphonso Johnson most recently provided bass for the new Sergio Mendes album, Magic. He also serves as an Instructor of Jazz Studies and Popular Music at USC’s Thornton School of Music.
The legendary South African bassist is best known for his immortal fretless sides with Paul Simon. He has also forged a multi-album solo career and sideman recordings with and the Cyndi Lauper, Gloria Estefan, Herbie Hancock and the Tedeschi Trucks Band.
Featured on Bass Player’s November ’14 cover, Tim Lefebvre continues to be all over the musical map, performing and/or recording with the Tedeschi Trucks Band, Mark Giuliana, Donny McCaslin, Wayne Krantz, Toto, Louis Cole and Mark de Clive Lowe.
The son of jazz bassist Jymie Merritt, Mike has anchored Conan since its inception. He has also recorded with Shemekia and Johnny Copeland, Levon Helm, Phoebe Snow, and his sister Mharlyn on their 2005 release, Alone Together.
The hardest working man in showbiz is returning for another season as musical director/bassist of American Idol, while also immersed various other music and TV projects at his new Red Lotus Studios—including Dave Koz’s all-star Christmas duets album, The 25th of December.
Veteran L.A. session ace John Peña has recorded with everyone from Tania Maria and Larry Carlton to Diana Ross and Barry Manilow. His excellent 2012 solo album is Call It Grace.
The Polish-born bass guitar virtuoso last appeared at Bass Player LIVE! in New York City, in 2005. Wojtek’s return coincides with the release of his new fusion-funk-electronica album (and 12th solo effort), Intro.
King’s X rock bass and vocal master dUg Pinnick appeared in last year’s Bass Player LIVE! concert tribute to Geezer Butler. His latest album is Pinnick Gales Pridgen: PGP 2, with guitarist Eric Gales and drummer Thomas Pridgen.
The N.Y. and L.A. session bass legend (Aretha Franklin, Steely Dan, Quincy Jones) received his Bass Player Lifetime Achievement Award back in 1999, and marks his return and clinic debut this year. Chuck has been hitting the road of late, with Marlena Shaw and in support of his latest album, Interpretations of a Groove.
Saavy rock veteran Rudy Sarzo has appeared on seminal recordings and tours with Ozzy Osbourne, Quiet Riot, Whitesnake, Dio, and Blue Oyster Cult. He shares his insight on those experiences via an in-depth feature in the December issue of Bass Player.
5-string metal bass monster Nick Schendzielos anchors Job for a Cowboy and Cephalic Carnage. His stormin’ style can be heard on Cowboy’s just-released Sun Eater.
From her longtime role as Prince’s bassist to her two fine solo CDs (Intellipop and RS2), Rhonda Smith has had a dynamic career. Her current role in Jeff Beck’s band continues on tour opposite ZZ Top, while she works to complete her next solo album.
Top bassist and noted educator Norm Stockton has been balancing gigs with Bobby Kimball and Bill Champlin with his innstructional website, www.artofgroove.com. His latest book is The Worship Bass Book: Bass, Espresso & The Art Of Groove.
Nashville mainstay Roy Vogt has made his mark on the musical and educational side of bass, including co-writing with Victor Wooten, creating the Teach Me Bass Guitar program, and releasing his most recent album, Urban Legend.
In addition to his role as Bass Department Chair at LAMA (Los Angeles Music Academy), Watts has recorded with Andy Summers, Flora Purim and Peter Cetera. He also hosted one of the most memorable Bass Player LIVE! clinics, in 2012, featuring the 18-piece John Daversa Progressive Big Band.
Funk/rock bassist/vocalist Nik West has provided bottom for Dave Stewart and heads the Queen of Strings competetion. Her soon-to-be-released second album is Say Something.
John B. Williams
A jazz mainstay with everyone from Nancy Wilson to the late Horace Silver, John B. is best known for his TV stays on the Tonight Show in N.Y., with Johnny Carson, and as a member of the Arsenio Hall Show’s Posse.
The iconic fretless master, who has had a major impact on the musical and technical side of bass, makes his Bass Player LIVE! clinic and performance debut (with Henrik Linder, Scott Kinsey and Kirk Covington). Best know as the co-leader of Tribal Tech and various jazz-electronica collabs, Gary’s latest album is the trio date, Retro.