FEA Labs is pleased to announce the latest product in their pedal lineup, the Opti-FET Compressor.
The name of this new pedal comes from its design that utilizes optical elements for compression dynamics and 100% “class A” FET (field effect transistor)-discrete amplification in the audio path. The Opti-FET also employs a unique, user-selectable side-chain control circuit with an onboard 3-band equalizer and a loop for additional control options. The union of these components provides the responsiveness, warm tone, and control options that we believe will make the Opti-FET Compressor a welcome addition to your effects chain, whether you’re a guitar or bass player.
One of the principal goals with this design was to create a “less sterile” and more “effect-y” type compression pedal, and we believe we’ve surpassed our goal with the Opti-FET Compressor. The “class A” FET discrete amplification circuit is popular among the audiophile community for having some of the classic sonic qualities found in tube amplifiers. This classic amplifier design adds noticeable warmth to the compressed audio signal, adding an overall musically pleasing character to the tone. The wide, adjustable compression ratio allows the musician to apply any amount of compression to the signal from very light at 1.5:1 to heavy at 20:1 for generous sustain.
Another design goal for the Opti-FET, as with all of our designs, was to give the musician as much control over their tone as is possible in a pedal format. To this end, along with the full complement of compression settings, we’ve added a selectable equalizer along with an external loop to the side-chain control circuit. The 3-band equalizer allows you to tailor the frequencies upon which to apply more or less compression to the audio signal. The loop feature is provided so you can use an external graphic equalizer or other outboard processors, giving you control comparable to that of many high-end studio compression units.
• Small footprint: 4.5” by 3.5”
• Threshold, ratio, attack, release and gain controls. The control ranges for the attack and release have been optimized for use on both bass and guitar.
• The COMP LED indicates when the threshold has been reached.
• The ACTIVATE foot switch places the compressor unit in the signal chain or in Direct Bypass mode.
• The ACTIVE LED indicates when the pedal is engaged.
• The EQ and LOOP foot switch enables the three-band equalizer controls for the side-chain control circuit and the external loop feature.
• Loop send and return jacks are for placing external processors or EQ’s in the compressor side-chain control circuit, when the EQ and LOOP switch is engaged.
• The SIDE-CHAIN EQ and LOOP LED indicator identifies when the equalizer and external loop features are active.
• Minimal components in the signal path to maintain the utmost signal quality.
• The onboard voltage charge pump allows the circuitry to operate at 18volts (+9 and –9 volt rails) from a single 9-volt battery or AC power adapter of 9 volts or greater.
• The onboard power supply can accommodate power adapter voltages up to 25 volts DC with protection from reversed polarity.
Price: $245.00 USD + S&H (plus tax if shipped within New York State)
More information at www.fealabs.com