Get news and post comments at www.facebook.com/bassplayermag.
Follow daily tweets atwww.twitter.com/bassplayernow.
Debate, shock, educate, and share with fellow readers at www.bassplayer.com.
John Goldsby's Jazz Concepts—Hoe Down! No, The Jazzy Kind…
- Feeling classical? Listen for the augmented triads in "A Faust Symphony in Three Character Pictures" by Franz Liszt. (Hint: they’re everywhere!).
- Listen to the Yellowjackets play Bob Mintzer’s “Aha” (with Jimmy Haslip on bass).
- Get our recommendations for books on the augmented scale.
- Check out Jerry Bergozni's Hexatonic book and CD.
Blues You Can Use: Chuck Rainey's Rock Steady Blues
Transcription: "Teen Town" by Weather Report - Jaco Pastorius' Complete Bass Line
- "Teen Town" - Tokyo, 1978: Weather Report performs the full song, twice through—the most compelling aspect being Jaco’s walking lines in the middle section, which imply chord substitutions left and right.
- "Teen Town" - Offenbach, Germany, 1978: Released as a DVD by Sony Legacy in 2011. On this version, the song is performed twice and then goes into Shorter’s solo with Jaco’s boogie in E; closest to the 8:30 version.
- Midnight Special TV show, 1977: This version begins with an extended percussion solo by drummer Alex Acuna and percussionist Manolo Badrena. The song is then performed once through, and in a miscommunication, Jaco starts the head again, getting four measures in before Zawinul cuts off the band.