Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC) today announced the introduction of bass lessons to Fender Play–the complete learning app for bass, guitar and ukulele from the brand that popularized electric bass guitar. Fender Play makes learning bass easier than ever, teaching skills and songs from artists across popular styles, including: James Brown, Curtis Mayfield, Maroon 5, Bob Marley and more. Top bassists around the world have used Fender’s iconic Precision Bass® and Jazz Bass® models for decades, changing the face of popular music. Now, the brand is looking to inspire a new wave of aspiring bassists to pick up the instrument.
Similar to other offerings on Fender Play, players progress through the learning process with simple bite-sized lessons, keeping their journey on track. With Fender Play Bass, players can learn essential bass skills, including slap bass, hammer-ons, how to play with a pick, funky slides, and how to read rhythm and ghost notes. Also, many songs on Fender Play feature companion lessons for both bass and guitar, giving aspiring musicians the resources to play with others.
“Bass is an essential part of the music creation process and the backbone of any band,” said Ethan Kaplan, General Manager of Fender Digital. “In these new lessons, we place just as much emphasis on teaching skills and bass lines as we do showing players how to make music with other musicians.”
“Fender was responsible for putting the first electric bass guitars into the hands of the world’s best players, so it’s only fitting to continue that tradition through a digital lens and inspire a new generation to pick up and play,” he continued.
With content designed specifically for bass, lessons follow the same structure as those for guitar with an even more simplified approach, new skills and teachers. Top features include:
- NEW BASS INSTRUCTORS: Learn from top bass instructors Pete Griffin, Chelsea Stevens, Ozzy Carmona, Nikki Stevens, Darren McGuire, Dan Ellis, Travis Dykes and Harley Duggan; they join the Fender Play team from prestigious schools, like Berklee College of Music and Musician’s Institute in Hollywood
- SONGS: Play favorite bass-driven songs, including:
- “Basketcase” – Green Day
- “Everlong” – Foo Fighters
- “I Got You (I Feel Good)” – James Brown
- “Move On Up” – Curtis Mayfield
- “One Love” – Bob Marley
- “Push it” – Salt-N-Pepa
- “Sheena Is A Punk Rocker” – The Ramones
- MULTIPLE CAMERA ANGLES: Easily see finger placement with "close up" shots designed for new players and a unique “over-the-shoulder” camera angle that captures the player’s point of view
- VARIETY: Learn a blend of popular styles–including funk, rock, R&B, blues and pop
- BASS IN CONTEXT: Leverage backing drum loops and click tracks–as featured in Fender Tune Player Pack–and learn how to lock in with the rhythm section. Many bass songs also feature corresponding guitar lessons, designed as complements, so players can practice with friends
- SKILLS: Explore five levels and hundreds of lessons teaching reading and counting rhythm, slap bass, how to jam with a drummer, slides, walking bass, moveable patterns, playing with a pick, arpeggios, building basslines and more. Learn a skill, then play a song using those techniques
- TOOLS: Look up concepts with the “Bass Glossary” and easily follow along with song tablature
- TRACK PROGRESS: See progress in real time on a dashboard tracking number of songs/riffs, courses and lessons completed
To jump start the learning process, new players can sign up for a free trial at Play.Fender.comand continue their journey for $9.99 (USD) a month–with access to bass, guitar and ukulele lessons all in one complete learning package. Additionally, new players have access to a year of unlimited lessons for $89.99, empowering them to learn at their convenience.
Fender Play for bass is available now on iPhone, iPad, Android devices and desktop. The app is available in the United States, United Kingdom and Canada, and can be accessed globally in 36 countries in English. Preview sample bass lessons for I Love Rock ‘N’ Roll (Joan Jett & the Blackhearts) and Disco Inferno (The Trammps), and program and lifestyle images can be found here.
To learn more about Fender Play, visit: . For additional information on new Fender electric and acoustic bass guitar products, and to find a retail partner near you, visitwww.fender.com. Join the conversation on social media by following @Fender.
ABOUT FENDER MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS CORPORATION:
Since 1946, Fender has revolutionized music and culture as one of the world’s leading musical instrument manufacturers, marketers and distributors. Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC), whose portfolio of brands includes Fender®, Squier®, Gretsch® guitars, Jackson®, EVH® and Charvel®, follows a player-centric approach to crafting the highest quality instruments and musical solutions across genres. FMIC is dedicated to unlocking the power of music through electric and acoustic guitars, amplifiers, pro audio, accessories and digital products that inspire and enable musical expression at every stage, from beginners to history-making legends.
ABOUT FENDER DIGITAL:
Established in 2015, Fender Digital is a wholly owned division of Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC) dedicated to connecting a legacy brand with a new digital ecosystem of products and interactive experiences designed to accompany players, across genres, at every stage of their musical journey. Building on the iconic Fender name, Fender Digital designs and develops apps, websites, platforms and tools to complement Fender electric and acoustic guitars, amplifiers and pro-audio gear to inspire players through a 360-degree musical experience. Since its inception, Fender Digital has introduced Fender Tune® and Fender Tone™ for iOS and Android; Fender Play™ for iPhone®, iPad®, Android™ and Desktop; relaunched Fender.com with a refreshed product experience; and created Fender Connect® offering a platform for users to store their personalized information from Fender Digital platforms in one place, providing a universally connected experience.