Evolution is about enhancing and expanding desirable traits while reducing unwanted traits. That was Leo Fender’s† mission for G&L, and that’s exactly what the new MJ-4™ accomplishes The active MJ-4 features G&L’s new Bi-coil Alnico V pickups and MJ-spec preamp/control system for a wide range of single-coil tones from classic jazz to far beyond, all without single-coil hum.
G&L’s made-in-Fullerton MJ-4 bass has quickly become one of the hottest basses in G&L’s range, thanks to its innovative Bi-Coil Alnico V pickups and MJ-spec preamp/control system which offer a wider range of single-coil tones, all without single-coil hum. Now, MJ-4 has joined the G&L’s Tribute Series range of popularly priced instruments.
A G&L Alnico Bi-coil pickup looks just like a classic Alnico single-coil, but under the cover are two side-by-side coils, configured in series-humbucking mode. The new pickups are optimized for a specially tuned version of G&L’s studio-quality M-spec preamp and control system, dubbed MJ-spec. The 18v system features volume, pan and +/-14dB 3-band EQ with center detents, and is powered by twin 9v batteries housed in an easy-access compartment. With an LF442 chip, 100v poly caps, 1% metal film resistors and big, fat signal traces on the mil-spec circuit board, this preamp reveals everything the player and the instrument have to offer.
• G&L Bi-coil pickups for classic tone without the hum
• MJ-spec studio-quality 18v preamp
• Primary volume and pan controls to explore the full range of sounds available between the two pickups
• +/-14dB 3-band EQ with peripherally placed, center-detent, reduced-diameter knobs
• An impeccable, familiar “feel” of the instrument in the hands and on the shoulder
• 1 1/2” nut-width, medium C neck neck profile
• G&L Saddle Lock bridge designed by Leo Fender
• Blueburst over swamp ash, clear gloss neck finish, maple fingerboard
• Natural Gloss over swamp ash, clear gloss neck finish, rosewood fingerboard
The G&L Tribute Series MJ-4 is available in Blueburst with maple fingerboard and Natural Gloss with rosewood fingerboard.
Street prices for both finishes are about $749.99.
PICKUPS: Two G&L Bi-coil Alnico pickups
BODY WOOD: Swamp Ash
NECK WOOD: Hard-Rock Maple with Maple or Rosewood fingerboard
NECK WIDTH AT NUT: 1 1/2"
NECK RADIUS: 12"
NECK PROFILE: medium
CFRETS: 21 medium jumbo, nickel
TUNING KEYS: Traditional open-back
BRIDGE: Leo Fender-designed G&L Saddle-Lock™
ELECTRONICS: G&L MJ-spec 18v preamp, volume, pan, +/-14dB 3-band boost/cut EQ with center detents
For more information visit: G&L Basses