Get news and post comments at www.facebook.com/bassplayermag.
Follow daily tweets atwww.twitter.com/bassplayernow.
Debate, shock, educate, and share with fellow readers at www.bassplayer.com.
- Check out Julie Slick playing the King Crimson classic “Three of a Perfect Pair” with the Adrian Belew Power Trio.
John Goldsby's Jazz Concepts: The Road Not Taken - Melodic Minor Scales & Modes
- In 1969, Jethro Tull piped the melodic minor scale into the ears of countless counterculture music fans. Check out Ian Anderson’s arrangement of J.S. Bach’s “Bourrée in E minor” with Glenn Cornick on bass.
- Thanks to Jamey Aebersold, you can download a complete list of possible jazz chord symbols for every scale and mode, including melodic minor.
- The 4th mode of a melodic minor scale is called Lydian-dominant. Music theorists, physicists, and other folks with a lot of time on their hands sometimes call this mode the acoustic scale, because of its replication of the notes in the overtone series.
Transcription: "Freedom (Make It Funky)" by Black Magic - Gene Perez's Complete Bass Line
- Connect with Gene Perez on Facebook.
- Learn about the making of “Bottom’s Up,” Perez's track with Louis Benedetti.